Roles and Functions
- Create a policy pertaining the whole port activity in Sabah.
- Acts as an entity, which coordinates all ports administration in any forum between ports in Malaysia and Ministry of Transport Malaysia as well as Ministry of Infrastructure Development, Sabah.
- Responsible for planning of all ports in Sabah and to ensure the implementation of the 20 year Master Plan of Sabah Ports Authority to be materialised in line with the growth of port industry in state and the nation.
- Study the proposal on port development projects in line with the priority of port progress/growth in our state as well as our nation.
- Acts as a regulatory authority to ensure terminal operator performs according to contract agreement.
- Responsible for setting up the benchmark and port performance standards in order to maintain the efficiency and the effective of port operation.
- Acts as a midlemen between the port users and terminal operator to solve port and shipping related problems.
- As a licencing authority, issuing port operators license to terminal operator or other sufferance wharfs operation.
The functions and responsibilities of the Authority at present do not change (on the contrary, they are expanded) but only change with regard to the administration and control aspect of port operations.